payment options

Sunday 30 October 2011

this week in India we...

taught some health care
 gave some health care


some of the beautiful mom's I helped deliver


and of course, delivered some beautiful babies! In fact, we welcomed our 100th baby as a school.






I just wanted to say real quickly that I am truly appreciative of everyone who is reading my blog and being interested in the work I am doing here in India. What I get to be apart of really is amazing but it's not without its challenges. The days are often long and hot and I really miss having a shower and eating food that doesn't include the phrase "rice and curry." I see a lot of injustice and often times I feel pretty helpless. It means a lot to me that people are seeing what I am seeing and they aren't even here. Your passion and support encourages me. I guess what I am really trying to say is, thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.


there's little things here that my team has been able to find pleasure in- outside of the hospital. We deal with a lot of heaviness and now that we have been in India for over a month we are learning how to make a normal life out of this. I want to be committed, and if I keep thinking this is temporary I can see myself having a hard time accepting it. This week somebody loaned us season 6 of House so 7 of us have been faithfully crowding around a little laptop at night to watch an episode. It's just fun. We usually have Saturdays off and they normally consist of sleeping in and searching desperately for food that's not ....well... Indian. I got a package from my mom this week that had candy corn in it. I opened it on my bed and almost before I could get the package out I had a crowd of Americans around me. Let me tell you- it was like we all opened a package of gold. Thanks Momma! We are all missing what home is like this time of year. We often talk about how much we like to celebrate as Americans.  Halloween, Harvest Festivals, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas and all the parties in between just because. We go all out in our country -and it's  something I've realized the rest of the world just doesn't get as excited for. I have to say, it's probably my favorite thing about our culture. So enjoy the holiday time for me, will ya?


On a completely unrelated side note, I decide to chop off my bangs this week. I was inspired after seeing pictures of my little sister from back at home. A short, sassy fringe is something I have always wanted to try so I thought, why not just give it a go. Half way through my chopping I was reminded that I have a face the size of a peanut and no real way of styling this new sassy fringe. So I just stopped. half way through. Just imagine it. 

Oh, glorious India.

1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    The Women's Ministry is collecting hats, blankets, diapers and towels for you. The women are excited to be a part of what you are doing. So many have tried to post a comment, but still need to create an account first. So know that they are trying to connect with you, even though you haven't seen all the posts yet. Your beauty comes from Christ shining through you and you are shining brightly!

    ReplyDelete