payment options

Tuesday 27 December 2011

au revoir India


I really wanted to sleep in today, but it’s still early in the morning and I find myself awake. As I write I am sitting in on a big comfy chair that has a table where I can conveniently lay my computer. There’s wifi in the air and the only thing keeping it from being perfect is the fact that its racking up the bill. I had a hot shower last night and slept in a big cozy bed. There is air conditioner that’s cooling my skin. I watched tv. I’m having a western breakfast this morning. Steam room, sauna, gym, pool... yeah, its all in my horizon.  And as I am sitting here in this room, being extraordinarily grateful for the gift of a night in a hotel (thanks to my parents) I am also trying to process what the last 6 months have been. It seems sort of weird to be staying here, in India, yet so far away from what India really is- but I appreciate it beyond words. Tonight I will board a plane and I will move to Africa. I almost have to repeat that sentence to myself just to be sure it’s true. Moving to Africa?
Six months ago I started this school in Australia, eager to learn midwifery, hungry for the skills. Three months ago I came to India and I got a taste of what it’s like. But, in the midst of learning the skills my character was challenged. I grew. I realized that midwifery isn’t just delivering babies. I learned that it’s an incredible tool to share the love of Jesus with the world. It’s an opportunity to love a woman and a child and a family and it’s an opportunity that most people don’t have. It’s immediate trust that I gain from a complete stranger.  I don’ t take that for granted. It’s learning to celebrate life and mourn death, but not be defeated by it.  It’s the awareness that the "struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." It’s realizing that stuff is real. I learned its fighting for justice. I learned it could feel like moments of helplessness, but in the same breath I have also learned how to rely on Christ at work. To call on Him and to be constant and consistent with Him the way He is with us. I’ve learned that I have a lot more to learn….So while I have had bouts of homesickness (especially over the holidays) I am still eagerly looking forward to the next 5 months.  I am looking forward to the next “lecture phase” I am about to have in Tanzania, where I have the opportunity to learn more advanced things, including how to manage problems in pregnancy and delivery. I am looking forward to the African culture. To the women, the men, and of course to the babies. I can’t wait to welcome African babies into the world.  I am looking forward to the dance and the music and the church services. I had the opportunity to visit parts of Africa a few years back and I’ve always thought I left a small piece of my heart there. I’m gonna go collect it. And add to it. And let it be broken again for the injustices of this world. But I am also going to let it love and I am going to let it grow. I look forward to what’s in store for me.  So thank you for following my journey in India. Thank you for the baby hats and the gifts, the donations, and THANK YOU for those of you who are just reading and taking interest and gaining awareness.


Here’s our statistics from India. I share them just so you, the ones following and supporting me can see some of the fruit from our work- and I say “our” work because if you are following, praying, or supporting me then you are apart of this inheritance:

We shared the gospel with 1,203 people. We saw 35 people give their life to the Lord. We did healthcare teaching for 1,297 people. (Knowing its important not just to provide it, but teach the locals how to do it) We delivered 273 Indian babies and witnessed/was apart of hundreds of more deliveries. We saw 3 babies come back to life after dying and then praying out for their life.  We saw 21 healings. We prayed for 15, 100 people. We provided healthcare for 15,213 people.

India has been a lot of things. But in the end of all the adjectives I could use to describe it, I will say India was worth it all. So as I say tearfully say goodbye to India (never thought this place would grow on me so much) I acknowledge that it’s a time I will never forget. I’m still overwhelmed with gratitude for the time I got to spend here.  For the opportunities I had. For the awkward encounters and the adventurous moments, for the laughter, for the pain, and especially for the growth. 

See ya in Africa. Hakuna Matada!

"There’s no place I would rather be, there’s no place I would rather be
Than here in Your love, here in Your love.
There’s no place I would rater be,  there’s no place I would rather be.
Than here in Your love,
So set a fire down in my soul that I can’t contain,
and I cant control.
I want more of You, God.
I want more of You, God.
Set a fire down in my soul, that I can’t contain,
and I can’t control.
I want more of You, God
No place I would rather be.
No place I would rather be.
Than here in Your love."


some photos from the last week:














No comments:

Post a Comment