payment options

Thursday 24 November 2011

HAPPPYY THANKSGIVING!

Today I did not sit around the table and enjoy a nice meal with my family. I did not watch a Macy's Day Parade or play kickball with the cousins. I did not have turkey and I definitely didn't have any pumpkin pie. And while I miss my family immensely (its just never nice to be missing a holiday) I know I still have plenty to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day celebration. In fact, I am overwhelmed with gratitude.  I started my day out with a 15 minute bumpy rickshaw ride to the hospital. And I put on my uniform and slide on my gloves and then I got to be a midwife. I got to to sit with women and rub there aching backs and look into their frightened eyes and I got to show them a Jesus who loves them. Then I got to welcome life into the world.

I am thankful today that there were no complications.
I am thankful today that I didn't witness any stillbirths or abortions.
I am thankful today that all of our babies were healthy.
I am thankful today that I got to work alongside some pretty amazing women on my team.
I am thankful today for the many opportunities I have at the hospital.
I am thankful today for the mother who I got to labor with who spoke English! Ah, it was amazing.
I am thankful today that I got to talk to my mom and my sister on the phone.
I am thankful for the gift of pregnancy and life and the opportunity to work with women.
I am thankful today for the Muslim women I got to labor with- who are usually completely reserved and covered up but they allow me to be close to them. And they trust me. I am thankful for that.

I have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.  While it may be a very different Thanksgiving than I have ever experienced before- I have to say I can't imagine being or doing anything else toady. I would really like some pumpkin pie and I would really like to be with my family but I am thankful that I got to celebrate Thanksgiving this way on this day.

Welcome, baby Issac





PS....I am  ALSO thankful for the American missionary family my team met a few weeks ago who invited us over to their house to celebrate with them on Saturday.  Yes! Dreams of turkey and cannied yams may just come true after all!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to those in America. May you have a day filled with love and gratitude.
And to my family: I hope you know I miss you all a lot. I am so thankful for the crazy, beautiful family that I have.





No comments:

Post a Comment