payment options

Saturday 12 October 2013

zambia


I have safely arrived to Zambia. Its good to be back in the African culture, and exciting to come to a new nation (this is my first time here.) It was an adventure getting here, as expected when traveling across the world with 25 people.  The journey included an unexpected sleepover in Thailand and somewhat patiently sitting in the “airport” in Kenya for 7 hours.  But lo and behold we’ve arrived.

Sitting here, I can’t help but feel incredibly grateful to those who have given to me in order for me to be here. This year I needed to see $5,100 come in.
And I did.
That’s a miracle.

God is so generous.  People have been so generous. And I want to say another big THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed in anyway to make this trip possible.

Yesterday we jumped straight into work and began to serve in the Maternity Ward at one of the local hospitals here in Zambia. Just so happens that yesterday the Zambian midwives also went on strike at the hospital. So essentially we orientated ourselves. I had 6 students working with me in the labor ward. For most of the students, this was their first time even seeing a birth. And they got thrown right into the mix of things, possibly more than I would have preferred on their first day. But when the workers are few, other options become limited. It was a bit hectic, but overall the students did great.

I had the privilege of welcoming the schools first official little one into the world.  Preceding her 4 other siblings, Annabel was born crying and chubby, just as she should be. She did really well and came with little effort or difficulty to her part-time professional birthing mother.  African women are so strong.

I will keep you updated with stories to come.

With love,
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment