payment options

Sunday 22 January 2012

and we're back in business!


What a week. I’m exhausted- in a good way.

We started the week off learning and being assessed on Obstructed labor. Took a day off on Wednesday while we patiently waited to hear the status of our visas. It was Seinis birthday, so we all headed to the beach and enjoyed the sun and the water, never ceasing for a moment to think if our visas were getting approved or not. Towards the evening, we headed home still unsure of what our tomorrow would look like. We wanted desperately to be able to start back at the hospital, but with no word coming through we started to think there was little hope for starting on Thursday. BUT lo and behold, in the late hours of the night I heard the words spoke out and they echoed through the hall straight to my heart,
“APPROVED! We’ve been APPROVED!!!! We’re starting tomorrow!”

And just like that, our waiting season, our praying and questioning and stretching time has come to an end. (Well, in regards to visas at least) And I have to say I’m grateful for the time we had outside of the hospital. I had a pretty stink attitude about it for the first little while and then God, in all His greatness challenged me with the question, “are you just here to serve me in the hospital?”

I had to step back, step out of myself and think about that question for a minute. I keep talking about how midwifery is a great way to share the love of God with people-and I still believe it is (the best way, for me) but if I have come to be a blessing to people, to help people, to love people, to show people there is a God who loves them- then I better be doing that just as much outside the hospital as I am inside the hospital. I better be practicing what I preach.  And thankfully I caught that lesson before it was too late. So while I desperately missed the mommas in the hospital and the work there, I learned to love my neighbors here in Tanzania. I got to know the culture more, the community better. I spent an afternoon in a Muslim village where I met two beautiful families. One was a young girl who had Tuberculosis and I got to be with her and pray- To Jesus for her. I got to go into a home of a mother of 5 adult children. All 10 of the grandkids were running around and they just graciously welcomed us into their home and we laughed together and we told stories and we got to know one another. We built relationship. I got to spend some times kicking a soccer ball around with a young group of boys. Those are my friends now. I was apart of evangelism, an open air, prayer walking, bible reading, befriending people, praying for people, and learning that I have a life to live outside of the work that I have found I love so much.  My patience was tested. I was tried and confused and I still don’t know why we had to wait 3 weeks to work in the hospital but I also know I don’t need to know the answer to everything. I just need to trust and follow and love. That’s my job.  Whether it been inside a labor room or on the unpaved streets of a village.

So I am indeed back in the hospital now. And as much as I did enjoy my learning and growing time outside of the hospital I am SOOOO glad to be back. It has been amazing. We hit the ground running. In our first 3 days back we have welcomed 21 babies into the world. We have been apart of 2 Cesarean sections, and have had the opportunity to provide healthcare for many women. We’ve laughed, we’ve cried, we’ve learned and it’s been beautiful. I have seen two incredible miracles already and I can’t wait to share some stories. 

Thank you for praying with me for the visas! We saw breakthrough guys, hallelujah!

Bless you all. I’ll be writing soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment